Aston Tower Curriculum Overview Y1-6
The purpose of the National Curriculum is:
‘... a curriculum which is balanced and broadly based and which:
- Promotes the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of pupils at the school and of society, and
- Prepares pupils at the school for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life’.
The national curriculum in England (September 2013), paragraph 2.1
At Aston Tower the aims of our curriculum are to:
- Ensure all of our children succeed and achieve the highest goals in their personal and academic development;
- Promote a love and enjoyment of learning;
- Ensure children become confident and resilient individuals who are able to respond well to the challenges of life;
- Develop, to a high standard, pupils’ skills in speaking, reading, writing and mathematics, along with an ability to apply and use such skills in real life situations;
- Promote pupils’ spiritual, social, cultural, physical and moral development;
- Promote pupils’ understanding of the 'fundamental British values' of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs by drawing on examples that are both from Britain and across the world to reflect our multi-cultural ethos.
- Develop pupils’ artistic, scientific and technological skills, their understanding of the world and the human and environmental factors that have shaped it;
- Encourage children to live healthily and keep safe
- Develop their skills of working independently and recognise the value of working collaboratively
- Ensure children are well prepared for the next stage of their learning and for the challenges and opportunities of adult life.
The core subjects of English, Mathematics and Science are taught as discrete subjects. The foundation subjects of Computing, Languages, Music and Physical Education are also taught discretely.
The curriculum for Art and Design, Design and Technology, Geography and History, is grouped into topics in our creative curriculum as shown:
We teach religious education and follow the local authority agreed syllabus. This may be found through the following web link https://www.faithmakesadifference.co.uk/